Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Priceline Negotiator

Too big for one JPG
Closing in on my end of the month trip.  Decided that it was time to get a vehicle rental lined up.  I was hoping to get a full size car.  My methodology is pretty simple.  First, I go on Hotwire to get a feel for what a "good" price is on a vehicle class.  This bit of research revealed that I could get a full size car for $13.95/day.  I also saw that I could get a convertible for $34.95/day or a full size SUV for $51.95/day.

Next, I start bidding on Priceline.  I completely ignore Priceline's suggested bids and work off my Hotwire numbers.  I started at $23/.day for a convertible.  I tried a full size SUV for the same number and GOT IT!

If I had stuck with Hotwire, I would have just got a full size car for $151 for the whole week.  I had budgeted about $250 for the week, so I took a chance and got a kick ass monster for $260.  If I had more time, I would have tried to chisel Priceline down a bit and I didn't want to lose days making bids.

We are doing a bit of driving outside of the World, so it will be awesome to be able to relax in an environmentally safe tugboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment