Friday, June 15, 2012

Splitsville in Downtown Disney



Concept Art
For some time, we have known that Splitsville, a high end bowling alley, will be coming to Downtown Disney.  Progress continues slowly, and still appears to be on course for completion later this year. A good timeline to date can be found here

The 50,000 square foot establishment replaces the surprisingly popular Virgin Megastore.  Splitsville is promising not only bowling, but billiards, dining, and music/dancing. 

Let's face it, since the closing of Pleasure Island, nighttime at downtown Disney has comprised of eating at mediocre restaurants, overpriced shopping, the hate-it-or-love-it Cirque de Soleil,  and the awfully awful Disney Quest. 

I, for one, am really excited to see Splitsville.  I like to bowl and play pool, so if prices aren't completely ridiculous, I could certainly see spending some time there after the parks close.  What worries me about Splitsville is that it could wind up being a miserable experience because there is NOTHING else to do late at night other than what I mentioned above.  I picture something like Dave and Buster's in a small city where there are literally no other options.  It attracts kids (games), adults (alcohol) and families (one stop for an evening of entertainment).  Couple that with the fact that I am certain Disney will provide a coupon for a free game or two in the Magic Your Way package and you may have to reserve your bowling experience like you reserve everything else at Disney just to manage crowds.

I have always liked about bowling because you can just decide to do on a whim.  If its not "league night" they can probably squeeze you in on a lane and you'll have a decent time.  Looking at the Splitsville website, they already allow for reservations for their other locations, so I would imagine Orlando will be no different.

Put another nail in the coffin for spontaneity at Disney World.  Still, it is tough to pass up new entertainment options, so I will probably fall in line and love it...

What do you think about Splitsville coming to WDW? Let us know in the comments below, or E-mail show@mightymenofmouse.com and you could be E-mail of the week!

1 comment:

  1. "I see nothing here, but I'm afraid it's splitsville for Delta Burke and Major Dad."

    ReplyDelete