Thursday, July 19, 2012

Adventures by Disney

Dutch on the grounds at Muckross in Killarney

We just did a recording session last night and now I have the travel bug.  Since it is so nasty out, I'm yearning for a place with a more temperate climate.  Of course, my first thought is Ireland.  Mrs. Lombrowski and I went there on our honeymoon (more on that to follow) and returned in June 2009 on a spur-of-the-moment trip.

Since I was thinking about it, I decided to look at Adventures by Disney's Irish excursion.  It costs $4,299 per adult.  Included in the cost is seven breakfasts (usually buffet), three lunches, and five dinners.  Lunch and dinner is NOT a la carte and you get what they give you.  Also included is room charges.  In Dublin, you'd be staying at the five-star Westin, which is in an awesome location near Trinity College.  The hotel in Killarney looks great and is centrally located.  I have no thoughts on the Clare accommodations other than it looks like an awesome castle.  The activities are fairly standard (i.e. kiss the Blarney Stone, Cliffs of Moher, Rock of Cashel).  Other than the food, the only concern I'd have is that you are motored around in a bus.

I think what you get is fairly good.  I'd humbly suggest for you to go the chauffeur route.  Our honeymoon was a six night excursion which cost $6800 back in 2008.  Keep in mind that it is cheaper to get there now then it was then and the Euro has fallen off a cliff.  Instead of a bus, we had a private driver and a Mercedes which was nicknamed "Elvis."  An itinerary was created that fit our needs and was even changed on the fly to incorporate more drinking, which was very important to me. It was a great experience that got us off the beaten path a bit.  It was also nice to not have to "share" sites like the Rock of Cashel with the rest of the Blarney Bus.  Meals other than breakfast weren't included, but admission to things like the Guinness Storehouse were.  On the food front, every single suggestion was excellent and we had nothing but great meals the whole way.

Our guy was Shane and he can be found at Ireland Chauffeur Travel.  There is zero chance that he remembers me, but he was fantastic.

Dutch living his Whiskey in the Jar dream

No comments:

Post a Comment